A game can reinforce principles students may have learned during a lecture or video. Below are some ideas for educational games from eduTwine. Use the examples below to help you generate ideas that are applicable to your own class.
Ask students to evaluate resources and create outcomes based on their choices. Using a game for this means it can be fun and silly but still informative and eye opening.
- e.g. Choose to use Web MD for a self-diagnosis, you end up in the hospital.
- e.g. Choose a DIY law advice website, you end up in court.
Ask students to make decisions about academic honesty and create outcomes based on their choices.
- e.g. choose to use a source and not cite it, you get a zero
- e.g. choose to submit an essay you found online and it’s your third offense, you get kicked out of school
Create a story that takes students through an authentic situation. Show them how their decisions can have a positive or negative impact.
- Works great for professional programs like health, business, law, and more
- Topics could include: clinical procedures, ethical decision making, health and safety, selling and customer service, digital citizenship
- E.g. Dealing with Difficult Patients, Insider Trading, The Sales Interview
Students become the detective in a problem solving story.
- Encourages critical thinking because they must solve a mystery based on clues.
- Topics could include: political science, research, environmental studies, law, orientation/scavenger hunts
Twine works great if you have users who need to work through a series of decisions to get a final answer.
- Works great for complicated information, such as copyright, or citation
We have a ton of resources in our libraries, but our websites can be difficult to navigate. A resource picker might help your students better understand the variety of sources and their uses.
- Develop a series of questions that will guide a user through various resources – are you looking for a primary or secondary source? Are you looking for newspaper or magazine or books? Are you looking for print or electronic?